REPORTS TO: Laboratory Manager
BASIC PURPOSE: At direction of laboratory manager, performs seafood inspections, sampling, quotations, and audits as assigned. Where appropriate, perform microbiological and chemical analysis, and/or water analysis.
- With direction from, Laboratory Manager, perform seafood inspections for all species and product forms.
- Collect samples from client sites and transports back to lab or ship samples to appropriate laboratories for testing.
- Coordinates support in the processing of samples for the Surefish program. Duties include:
- Sample preparation
- Sample processing
- Data analysis and entry
- Perform daily inspections or testing according to standards and specific protocols.
- Ensure that instruments, vehicles and equipment are maintained and in proper operating condition and calibrated as needed.
- Ensure that all records, reports and photos are organized and accessible.
- Perform all applicable corporate and laboratory quality control procedures.
- Meet turnaround time commitments.
- Understand and follow established quality assurance and chain of custody procedures.
- Take action to correct all QA problems and potential delays, communicating the issue as appropriate.
- Review and update lab standard operating procedures.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Minimum of three (3) years seafood production or QA/QC experience in multiple species and product forms.
- Knowledge and experience with laboratory QA/QC plans, manuals, and procedures,
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Flexible and able to multitask
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, microbiology or related area of science
- Working knowledge of HACCP and inspection/auditing experience
- Experience with GLP.
- Valid U.S. Passport or ability to obtain a valid U.S. Passport
- Capable of lifting 40-50 lbs on a routine basis.
- Occasional lifting of 70 lbs on a repeated basis
- Extensive physical effort.
- Ability to travel by plane or automobile, domestically and internationally as needed.
- Handling hazardous microbiological materials
- Safety glasses must be worn at all times in the lab area
- Work is performed in a laboratory environment (may be cold & wet)
- Multi-tasking environment
- Some work is performed offsite
- Smoke free work environment